Tractive Valve Tuning System - Rockshox Super Deluxe Air/Coil
Features and Benefits:
- Improved support
- Superior stability and predictability
- Improved compliance
- Improved traction
- Upgrade compression base valve assembly
- (RC3) More usable 3-position compression adjuster with evenly spaced settings
- (RCT, RC) Higher-resolution compression adjustment range
- Pressure-balanced valving to provide sensitivity and support without cavitation
- Custom Tractive Valve Tuning System tune selection for each rider based on frame, weight, terrain, aggression and preference
- Custom compression & rebound tunes
- Nitrogen charged via low-profile reservoir end cap
- All upgrade parts developed, tested and machined by Vorsprung in Whistler
- Internal alterations to reduce the typical knocking during direction changes
- Recommendations on spring pressure and volume spacer alterations if necessary.
"Begin with the end in mind." - Stephen Covey
In 2011, before the company even officially existed, Vorsprung founder Steve Mathews had begun work on what went on to become the Tractive Valve Tuning System. Rather than being a single physical part or mechanism, Tractive encompasses the single most comprehensive and consistent method of damper tuning ever seen in the mountain bike world. Working with engineers from one of the world's foremost mathematical computing companies, we have developed a truly one-of-a-kind system - and this particular kit is only the beginning. Big claims, we know. What sets Tractive apart?
Tractive is a process, not just a part.
Example 3D plots of vertical wheel output vs displacement vs velocity from our first generation calculation software. Two different frames with two different dampers are shown.
What is the process?
How do we define and measure this correct amount? It needs to be measured at the wheel - the only place that matters. But direct measurement of forces and velocities at the rear wheel are very difficult to make - especially when the leverage ratio between the axle and the shock is constantly changing. And is the rider a timid 45kg (100lbs) novice, or a hard-charging 140kg (300lbs) professional, or someone more "average" in stature?
Our Elite Partner Tuning Centres around the world now have access to our proprietary, cloud-based Tractive Valve Tuning System calculation software. This software lets the tuner observe the true response at the wheel when considering the rider's weight, the bike's leverage rate and the damper curve generated by a specific tune.
Unprecedented Tuning Advantages:
• Direct comparisons can be visualised between any riders, on any bikes, with suitable benchmarks established and repeatably matched - an industry first.
• Our ever-growing database and the ability to directly compare two scenarios like this gives us an unparalleled ability to analyse and summarise feedback over time.
• Benchmarks are able to shift locally to reflect the different terrain demands in different parts of the world
• The combined experience of your local suspension tuner and Vorsprung's own expertise can be leveraged to get you the best out of your shock
With Tractive, you directly benefit not just from Vorsprung's knowledge, but from the collective experience of all of our partners around the world.
Tractive Valve Tuning Systems are built with the following approach:
- Damper architecture weaknesses and problems identified and improved upon with upgrade parts
- Damper tunes selected to be the most suitable custom valving for the rider, frame and terrain
- Damper adjustment ranges and modes altered if necessary
Who is the Tractive Valve Tuning System for the Super Deluxe NOT suited for:
- Riders who already exceed the maximum rated air pressure of their shock. You need a different shock, sorry! However, a Super Deluxe Coil may be for you.
- Riders who want a firmer-than-stock lockout. The Tractive system offers a firm compression mode rather than a lockout for climbing traction, but if a near-rigid lockout is non-negotiable, look elsewhere. We don't firm up the lockout because it inhibits performance of the shock when unlocked.
- Riders who want to service their damper at home. The Tractive kit for Super Deluxe is not available for self-install or self-service as it requires both a vacuum bleeder and a nitrogen charging system to install.
- Riders who are using the Air version of the Super Deluxe on a frame that is excessively progressive or otherwise completely unsuited to air shocks. These will work better with a Super Deluxe coil shock.
Tractive Valve for Rockshox Super Deluxe - $310CAD (approx $243USD) including full service and installation.
How do I make my Super Deluxe a Tractive?
- Place an order through this page to order your Tractive Tune. It will take your address and you can pre-pay for the Tractive Tune and the return shipping.
- Take note of your order number, and fill out THIS FORM (opens in new window) to give us the information we need to tune your shock for you.
- Ship your shock to us (or drop it to us if you're lucky enough to be nearby). Shipping instructions can be found HERE.
- Email us (steve at vorsprungsuspension dot com) with the tracking number once it's en route to us.